Sprinter Van Conversion: Electrical system, AC current...

I'll be the first one to admit it, I over did this electrical system... I just was trying to design for simplicity and ended up with way to much wire ran. It's not the end of the world, I have a few extra wires ran that will probably never be used, their hidden so no harm.

As with the DC power system, I didn't want any part of the electrical system to be connected with factory electrical. The system is 30 amps, with a 100 amp panel box, this gives me the ability to have six circuits. One circuit is a 20 amp receptacle for the kitchen. I have one 20 amp circuit for garage area receptacles and one 15 amp for the entertainment system. There is also a 15 circuit in the lounge area for USB's and receptacles.

I grounded the system to the metal frame to the left of the panel box. The system has worked perfectly so far.

30 amp plug on driver's rear

New project in the works Sprinter Van Conversion

Picked up a really nice 2010 Mercedes 3500 Sprinter Cargo Van yesterday. I have been researching these vans for over a year. Price, fuel mileage, cost, reliability and ability to convert to camping and using as a home base are all pluses with these vans. There is a treasure trove of information online about these vans and I have researched and studied what others have done.


I have a rough idea on my layout but will remain flexible on what works and doesn't and will adjust accordingly. I have three areas that are a must. 1. Must have queen size bed. 2. Large enough storage under bed area (I'll call that area the garage) for two road bikes, two sets of scuba gear, tanks and metal detecting gear. 3. A wet closet for wet suits. I'll incorporate plenty of other storage areas, counter space with room for a refrigerator. 

I plan on wiring for solar power as well as shore power. Powered roof vent, roof rack and back up camera. Micheal and I got started today on stripping the panels off the walls. Up next, we will insulate walls, ceiling and floor. Install roof vent and start the wiring. Stay tuned for more post on this project...